After six months of being out of commission, my laptop is back...new and improved with a 160 GB hard drive. I had run out of space with the old 40GB, but in the process of changing the hard drive (instructions at ifixit
), I pulled the power connector off the board. I moped around for 4 months about this before I finally decided to hand it over to the local electronics man. He had never worked on a laptop, but he did it! And he didn´t charge. Amazing. Hopefully, this will be enough motivation to keep me posting more frequently.
I´m working at the municipality again. I have been going out to organize community groups and help them prioritize their needs. The photo is from a meeting on Monday in the community of Coyegual. Basically they make a list of everything they want for their community, and they decide what is most important. These needs are usually pretty basic. In Plan Grande, for example, they decided that the projects they wanted were--
1. Piped water to their houses (right now half the families are still carrying water from a stream).
2. Building a wall around the school
3. Cementing the main street in their village
4. Building an addition onto the school
5. Building a school kitchen
6. Latrines (many families still don´t have latrines, or they are not in good condition).
I should mention that this community is one of the more abandoned communities of San Antonio.