Saturday, February 17, 2007

Waterfall

This is a waterfall we walked to last weekend. There is an even bigger (100m) waterfall right below this one that I plan to visit tomorrow. More photos are here.

I realized that there are some things that surprised me when I got here that I thought I would share:

-People often eat with just tortillas here (no silverware).

-People have metal around the edges of their teeth to keep the teeth from cracking. I thought this was pretty unattractive until I saw someone with their teeth broken. Luckily, nutrition is better now, and most young people have good teeth.

-Almost everyone washes clothes by hand here (only women wash). Machines are expensive here.

-Coffee is the main crop here. It sells for less than $100 per hundredweight. The main crop used to be sugar cane, but people can make more with coffee.

-You can eat mangoes green (with salt).
Something funny happened today--I had heard the refrain of this song (a man singing) "Estoy enamorado de un hombre (I´m in love with a man)." And I thought that was pretty liberal, considering I haven´t seen any openly gay couples here, but, there is a lot of Mexican music here, so maybe it was a Mexican song. Then I heard the rest of the song today--"Estoy enamorado de un hombre, y se llama Jesús. (I´m in love with a man, and his name is Jesus)." That changes things.


That is about all. I´m still working on the web page and the community maps. The goal is to have a comprehensive map with road type and condition, schools, churches, health centers, services, etc... Here are some maps I made to show where San Antonio is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home