Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Cookies and Pizza

Last weekend I had a good time making pizza and chocolate chunk cookies with Marvin and Brenda. Here Marvin is happily kneading the pizza dough. There are a couple more pictures here of the process, as well as a couple of a waiters' race in Antigua.

I just started reading La Ley de los Santos which is an old antropology book about a Pokomam community near Guatemala City. Before that I read Señores bajo los Arboles about the Armed Conflict, El Dragón y la Princesa by E. Sábato, and Hombres de Maíz by M.A. Asturias. I would definitely recommend Hombres de Maiz (Men of Maize) for anyone who has free time and interest in Guatemala. El Dragón y la Princesa is like El Túnel (Tunnel), the other work I've read of Sábato. It's dark and confused and strongly Argentine. Señores bajo los Arboles is a good book too, but it is more descriptions of the violence and destruction of the armed conflict, about which I feel like I've read enough for now. Books in Spanish are expensive for some reason, which is why I have borrowed books so far. Another thing that strikes me is that people here refer to the 36 years of violence as the "armed conflict" rather than a "civil war" or "war" as we do in the US.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home